Introducing the NEXT GENERATION of solar water heating!
Since 1981 Thermo Dynamics Ltd. (TDL) has been researching, developing, manufacturing and installing solar water heaters. Their award winning Solar Boiler™ System has shipped all over the world, from Siberia to Africa, the US to Japan, and beyond.
Now – with reductions in the cost of PV modules, and the development of high-efficiency power electronics - TDL introduces the PV Solar Boiler™, a solar water heater 100% powered by solar electric panels, that is, photovoltaic (PV) modules.
The PV Solar Boiler™ is available in two sizes:
- 1.25 kW (recommended for homes with 1 to 3 occupants)
- 2.50 kW (recommended for homes with 2 to 7 occupants)
How It Works
The DC controller regulates the voltage of the PV modules to enable maximum solar energy collection. At full power, the DC controller has an efficiency of 96 - 97%. One of the many benefits of the PV Solar Boiler system is that there will never be unused energy.
When the solar storage tank has reached the desired temperature, the electrical power can be diverted into the electrical grid, or employed to charge a bank of batteries for back-up power in your home.
Consider all the advantages:
- 100% solar powered
- integrated high temperature shut off
- no charging pump required
- no pumps consuming electric power
- no heat transfer fluid
- no collector stagnation / over-heating
- no heat transfer fluid dump zone
- uses standard water heater tank
- life expectancy of over twenty years
- ten-year limited warranty
- Choice of one or two power boards for PV inputs of 1250 and 2500 watts, respectively.
- DC Control Board regulates and maximizes power to the heater element.
- Labelled Input/Output board complete with mechanical lugs for quick and easy installation.
- 25 amp, two pole, rapid DC shut off switch.
- Custom element sizing to match PV array with element and to maximize heater output.
- Maximum PV open circuit voltage is 180 VDC.
- Maximum PV current is 20 amperes.
- Maximum PV array wattage (rated) is 3000 watts.
- Optional web based monitoring available (see below).
- Four to ten PV modules, rated at 800 to 2500 Wp (watts-peak).
- An electronic DC-DC transformer that converts the high voltage PV power to lower voltage DC power.
- An electric heater rated for the voltage and wattage to optimize power delivery from the PV modules.
- Sidearm heating elements create highly stratified tank.
- A standard 170 to 500 liter storage tank.
- A built-in auxiliary electric heater, if required, rated at 120 to 240 VAC, as required.
- An internet-based monitoring system (optional).
- This device is for use between an array of PV modules and an electrical resistance water heating element.
- The tank with electronics is intended for use in a protected interior environment and must not be exposed to water.
- Use 10 AWG, stranded (7 or 19 strands) copper cable between this device and the PV modules.
- The PV operating voltage is adjustable between 55 VDC and 150 VDC, depending on the number and arrangement of the PV modules. This must be adjusted by a qualified technician according to instructions provided by Thermo Dynamics Ltd.
- The water heating element connected to this device must be sized (wattage and resistance) according to instructions provided by Thermo Dynamics Ltd.